When we were designing the BrainCandy engine that MiBI is built upon, we always had Macs in mind – which is why we built in low-level support for *both* DirectX and OpenGL. Of course, when it came time to actually publish Madballs, we ran into a roadblock – no Steam on the Mac (and thus really, no multiplayer gaming infrastructure on the Mac at all!)
Needless to say, we were excited when Valve announced they were bringing Steam (and their games to the Mac) – and have been working hard to make Mac MiBI a reality.
Features of the Mac/Steam version of Madballs in…Babo:Invasion:
- All game modes – single player, co-op, survival and versus
- All gameplay features – characters/classes, weapons, abilities, etc.
- All DLC - support for all downloadable skins, unlocks, etc
- All mission types – support for personal and community missions
- All Steam community features – steam cloud, achievements, leaderboards, etc
- SteamPlay – if you bought MiBI for the PC, you already own the Mac version!
- Plus… PC+Mac players play together! Co-op or versus, doesn’t matter if you’re on PC or Mac, play with/against your friends on all peer-to-peer or dedicated server games!
Now, there are a couple of small limitations in the current implementation – they won’t keep you from playing with your friends and having a great time – but the game will get even better on the Mac when we address these in the future:
- Babo Crash not included – As you know, we added a free embedded version of our mobile game, Babo Crash, to the PC version – we haven’t yet had time to port it over yet
- Advanced shader support missing – We don’t yet have our advanced shaders working under OpenGL… the game still looks great though and graphics performance is top-notch… there will be additional eye-candy in the future once we enable this
- Controller support – we don’t support the Xbox 360 controllers natively in the Mac version yet
- Slower map load times – older Mac’s may experience a 10-25 second black screen at the tail end of our map loading process (this happens while we load all the textures into memory). Furthermore, this delay *might* occasionally cause you to be disconnected from the multiplayer server you were attempting to join. If you get disconnected, just attempt to re-join the server – it will be faster and you should make it in.
Anyway, we happy to provide a new arena for the ongoing battle of Macs vs. PCs! See you online folks!
To pick up Madballs for Mac – click here!